It's old news, but it's still BIG news -- Blake and I are having a baby! Due date is November 17, and we are super excited!
Allow me to catch you up on the last six and half months...
St. Patrick's Day 2009 was the day we found out that we were pregnant. I was eating lunch at Jason's Deli with a great friend of mine who asked the big question..."SO, are you pregnant yet?" I laughed it off - yeah, right. I went back to work and couldn't stop thinking about the possibility, so I decided I'd run home (it's only like 5 minutes from my office) and take a little test. As I was walking to my car, I was trying not to get my hopes up. I mean, it would be perfect timing since Blake and I were going with my parents to see my sister's family in California soon, and it was SUPER important to me to be able to tell my sister the exciting news in person. So, I go home and take a test, and there it is: "Pregnant". Yep, the digital one that actually says it. I think I experienced every possible emotion in those 5 seconds before I heard the front door unlocking.
Yep, Blake was walking in the front door. Now, I had talked to him an hour earlier at which point he told me he was leaving his office to come home and let Champ out. Oh, but he didn't. So, I didn't get to tell him in any fun and creative way. I just walked out of our bedroom and said "I'm pregnant!" As I recall, his face turned red, he kinda smiled, and then he didn't say anything. So, I responded with "You're excited, right?" Then, he gave me a hug and immediately started praying. Let me tell you, at that point, I fell in love with my husband all over again. I knew I had a good man, but that just meant the world to me that his first reaction was to pray over our new little family. Then, he said "I was just coming home to let Champ out." It was pretty funny. So, after reapplying the makeup and trying to get my nerves in check, back to work we went. I'm pretty sure we both smiled constantly for the rest of the day.
Shea (my Jason's Deli friend) was the first to find out. I called her immediately after getting in my car to head back to work. I had to tell someone!
Now, Blake and I had to figure out how to tell the family. We wanted to do something special, so Blake came up with the idea of making a countdown book to the baby's arrival. On the front of the book was a poem that we put together that revealed the big secret. Then on the inside, there was a page for each week that told how the baby was growing. Blake actually did almost all of the work on it, and it turned out so cute!
My parents and my sister's family found out on March 26 - the evening that we flew into California. We flew in early that day, but I couldn't tell them until that evening when my brother-in-law got home from work and we were all together. I was dying! So, finally when we were all sitting down to eat dinner at my sister's house, Blake and I gave them their "Easter gifts". My mom and sister were opening them at the same time and I thought they were never going to get to the end of the poem and figure it out! Then came the reaction...PRICELESS! It was perfect! My sister exclaimed in tears "She's having a baby!" FINALLY! I could breathe.
We told the Willis family on April 2 after eating pizza and watching (on TV, not in NY) the Baylor men's basketball team play in the NIT final. Of course, the announcement to the Willis family would have to involve some Baylor athletics.
And then we finally got to go to the Dr. at 8 weeks and see this:
What a relief to see that little heartbeat!
Even more incredible was getting to hear the heartbeat at 12 weeks!
So awesome.

No comments:
Post a Comment